Monday, January 19, 2009

progesterone defect...

I've been doing a lot of research lately. Mainly because I keep getting this nagging feeling something isn't right. I've been charting and temping since my miscarriage. When I got my BFP the highest my temp got was to 97.8 I didn't realize at the time that was kind of low for someone who is pregnant. We started trying again in October 2008. In October and November I still noticed my temps were really low (97.8) after ovulation. I did some research and learned that low temps can be a sign of low progesterone. Progesterone is very important in early pregnancy because it's the hormone that controls everything till the 2nd trimester. Progesterone also thickens the uterus lining after ovulation to hopefully allow a healthy bean to stick. A drop in progesterone will cause a miscarriage- or for those not TTC- it will make your period start. So in December I bought an all natural Progesterone cream that I apply twice a day after ovulation. I noticed in December my temps were way up after ovulation- around 98.3 Now it's January and I ovulated 4 days ago and started my cream. Now my temps are even higher- 98.6! I really hope this is what I need to get pregnant again and make that little bean stick this time. Wish us luck, we really need it:)

And feel free to stalk my chart on Fertility Friend
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2171e2

5 comments:

Parrett Five said...

Well I hope that this works for you, Maryann. You have definitely educated yourself and I truly believe that YOU have to be an advocate for your own health care needs... your little baby is going to feel soooo wanted and loved when he or she finds out what you went through for him or her. My thoughts and prayers are with you always. Lots of love! And pregnancy vibes....are coming your way! xo

2SetsOfTwins4Me said...

my temps were never high, pre o was always around 96.7-97.2 and post o my temps were around 97.3-97.8 and i have never had low progesterone. just wanted to say that isnt always the case. if your luteul phase is a pretty good length. anything over 10 days then most likely your progesterone is fine

Maryann said...

Thanks Brandi- that makes me feel a lot better. My LP is average 11 or 12 days. I know most websites say anything under 10 is too short, but I have also found a lot of information online that some doctors believe anything under 12 can be a problem. I'll just see what my new doctor in February things. BTW- my husband loved the pic of your 4 boys at the top of your blog.

Maryann said...

And thank you also, Lisa. You have been thru this since day 1 with us and I know you are praying for us.

Parrett Five said...

Love you, girl! You know that. xo