Thursday, May 28, 2009

Baby Beats

I rented a digital fetal heartbeat doppler from Belly Beats online. FedEx dropped it off yesterday and I immediately started jugging a bottle of water to get my bladder full. The book says it works best starting at 10 weeks and since I won't be 10 weeks till Monday I was a little nervous I wouldn't be able to find the heartbeat. I put the gel it came with all over my belly and started moving the little probe around right below my belly-button. And at first I kept picking up my own heartbeat because the digital screen kept saying 90bpm. Finally after 10 minutes I found what I was looking for- 165bpm and I could actually feel the thumping of baby Fief's heartbeat thru the speaker on the doppler. Of course I got all excited and made my mom come over to show her. Later that evening I went to my dads house to show him. I found the heartbeat within 5 mins this time and it was 163bpm.
So when Brice got home he was eager to play with our new toy, too. This is where it gets kind of funny. 15 minutes of Brice rolling that little probe all over my belly, he still couldn't find the heartbeat. He started mouthing under his breath "come on Augustus"- that's what he calls our baby. I assured him that "Augustus" was probably in a bad position and that's why he couldn't find the heartbeat. By this point it had been 25 minutes so I told him he needed to stop because I didn't know if it was safe to do it that long even though the booklet says it is safe. He was pretty mad he couldn't find "Augustus" heartbeat so I promised him we could try again tonight.
I can't wait to show my Nana and my mother-in-law. Hearing that heartbeat makes it seem so much more real that there is actually a baby growing inside my tummy:)

3 comments:

2SetsOfTwins4Me said...

awww thats so exciting, glad you were able to pick up the heartbeat

Lesley At Sarita Farms said...

When I was barely pregnant they had the hardest time finding her heartbeat. Even the doctor took a while to find it. She was just always in a bad position. It was actually the last two times I have done in that it was "easy" to find and I am 30 weeks. I am praying for you and "Augustus"!!!!

julie said...

I'm already in love with baby Fief! I had a dopplar too and loved having it. I got rid of it when I could feel C moving a lot.